Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Forty hours a week

One of my favortite quotes from Dumb and Dumber,
Harry: I can't believe we drove around all day, and there is not a single job in this town. There is nothing, nada, zip!
Lloyd: Yeah! Unless you want to work forty hours a week!

This has been the story of my life until this past July when I entered into the adult world and now am working as an administrative assistant forty hours a week. Throughout college I was a server working pretty much when convient, taking month breaks off-no big deal. When we moved to Houston I found myself easily juggling a few different part time jobs where the desired hours were determined by me. If I wanted a day off, no problem. If I wanted to go on vacation for a few weeks, I didn't even have to get permission and there was never a probationary period. Now, I am stuck. Although I am glad to have a steady paycheck every two weeks, I feel trapped inside my office sitting behind a desk with A LOT of freetime. I complain to Peter all the time, "I am so BORED!!! I can't do this anymore!!!" He reminds me that this is really my only complaint, that I am just bored, that is all. "I am sure the majority of workers today would prefer being bored over being busy, and stressed" he has often reminded me. Yes this is true, I have issues. It has been almost three months and I am sick of constantly looking at annoying status updates on facebook that consist of long hashtags and instagram photos of food and and wishing I could have the things I pin on pinterest, maybe in fifteen years when Peter will be done. So blogging is my next option to help pass the time when I have nothing to do. Hopefully my next post will not be in a year.

1 comment: